After watching the video - see Activity Ideas below!
Vibrato / Activity Ideas
- Listen to a recording of a singer and analyze the vibrato use: how often is vibrato used? How pronounced is it? How soon is it applied to the note? Does the singer crescendo, decrescendo, or stay the same volume during the vibrato?
- Practice singing sustained sounds, alternating between vibrato and straight tone.
- Choose a place in your favorite song to apply a half and half concept (half straight tone, half vibrato).
- Try to manipulate the speed of your vibrato – can you grab on to it just enough to slow it down? Can you push just enough air through it to speed it up (without kicking it into straight tone)?
- Imitate anywhere from 8-32 measures of a singer’s rendition of a song in which vibrato is used. Can you match the vibrato perfectly in speed, dynamic, and length of time? Record yourself and do a comparison with the original recording!